Friday 12 September 2014

Week 11


Now everything becomes even more difficult, as I go back to teaching this week. Thankfully it’s only part-time, so I still have five days in which to write.

It felt very strange writing this week’s chapter, a denouement of sorts, where the family is summoned to the library by the detective, and the guilty party is revealed. Normally this kind of thing comes at the end of the novel, not two-thirds of the way through. Do not fear. I haven’t lost the plot this week. In fact I think I may have found it.

Eventually you just have to trust your characters to get on and do what they’re going to do. Sometimes you can guide their decisions, but often it’s more interesting to sit back and see what they will choose to do. They regularly surprise me and delight me.

Till next week,
Michael


Michael Gallagher’s Gooseberry is serialized in weekly installments every Friday from July 4th 2014 on Goodreads. Michael Gallagher is the author of The Bridge of Dead Things and The Scarab Heart, as well as the popular non-fiction title Why the Victorians Saw Ghosts.

Photograph: Caney the Clown by John Thomson, used courtesy of the London School of Economics’ Digital Library under a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment