Friday 22 August 2014

Week 8


It feels very strange, but in order to release Gooseberry for the Christmas market, this week I had to assign it an ISBN (International Standard Book Number), and register it with Nielsen, Britain’s ISBN provider. Why did I need to do this? Because the book has to be in the system before I can post it in the October offer for LibraryThing Early Reviewers—the LibraryThing scheme whereby eager readers receive a free copy in return for an honest review. Why is this important? Simply because it will generate reviews I can use when the book is finally released around December 1st. And, trust me, reviews are important.

Of course, the really odd thing is, I’m not even halfway through the book yet, and I still don’t have an entire plot worked out. I have no idea if I can keep to my weekly quota. I have no idea whether I can finish the novel, let alone finish it in time.

Till next week,
Michael


Michael Gallagher’s Gooseberry is serialized in weekly installments every Friday from July 4th 2014 on Goodreads. Michael Gallagher is the author of The Bridge of Dead Things and The Scarab Heart, as well as the popular non-fiction title Why the Victorians Saw Ghosts.

Photograph: Public Disinfectors by John Thomson, used courtesy of the London School of Economics’ Digital Library under a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment